Thursday, November 06, 2008

Surgery is coming

Chris and I took Aislinn to the nephrologist and the urologist this afternoon.

They took a urine sample when we arrived for our appointments and the urine tested good. No more blood, protein or a skewed white blood cell count.

Good news.

With that, the doctors are encouraged that the infection is getting better and that we can move forward with surgery plans.

As the urologist explained his plans for the surgery, he stated that it is important that we make sure that the infection is gone, but with time, we have an increase in the chance that the infection can come back. So, Aislinn will stay on antibiotics until the surgery and we will monitor her closely. I have to take urine samples to the lab weekly for testing and we should call immediately if she shows any signs of the infection returning.

They will be removing what they believe to be about 1/3 of her right kidney. It will be done with one incision that should be about 2 inches long under her rib cage on the right side. They are hoping to tie off the extra ureter, but if they see when they get in there that they need to remove it, the will make another incision on the lower part of her right side. They will just have to see what the ureter looks like when they get in there. The urologist hopes that this surgery will put an end to our troubles.

She is scheduled to go in to Arnold Palmer on December 11. She should be able to come home Saturday evening, December 13, if all goes well.

Chris and I know that she is doing well healing right now because we listened to the spirit and got her the help that Heavenly Father needed us to get her. There are no words to express my feelings of love, humility and appreciation to my Heavenly Father for that!

As I was driving home, I realized that the Children's Sacrament Meeting Presentation is scheduled for the following Sunday, December 14. I don't think that that is going to work for me. I called the Bishop and left him a message. Help! It just doesn't seem possible that I have Aislinn in surgery just a few days before the presentation. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

3 people said:

Anonymous said...

I'll bet your glad to see an end in sight for her being sick. She's such a little trooper, too! Give her big squeezes from me!!

Anonymous said...

Ok.. the English teacher is tired... please change "your" to "you're" LOL

Dane, Holly, Devin, and Jarom said...

I wish I could be there. I will be there Dec 16 at night. Why are you having the Primary thing so late. We are having ours this Sunday. Can you do Primary in November?