Friday, November 14, 2008

Parent fireside and MANY laughs

I laughed more tonight than I have in years.

Not kidding, years!

Chris, Lew and Jose were just cutting up like crazy at Chili's last night after our parent fireside and we had a great time together. The food was ok, except for Debbie having a french fry in her blue cheese dressing and Frances never getting her rice and beans. The service was awful, but we sure had a great time laughing and cutting up. It was really nice. I commented to Chris after we got home that I hadn't heard him laugh like that in forever. Hmm.

The parent fireside was really good. A little long, but good. We were given tools to help our children develop their own testimonies and encouraged to stay strong, focused and dedicated.

I really enjoyed listening to how President Carter's girls felt about developing their testimonies. He gave us a list of 20 things that they said that were the 'not so obvious' things that helped them develop their testimonies.
1. Their parents dedication to service in the church.
2. The parents took church very seriously.
3. They were dedicated church goers each Sunday and that they were there to learn the gospel.
4. They went to church while on vacation - never missed.
5. Family traditions of a righteous nature.
6. Church activities were mandatory.
7. Mother and father must be one.
8. Family responsibility and accountability - they didn't want to disappoint their parents.
9. Support of church leaders - ALWAYS!
10. Talk about gospel principles and spiritual matters.
11. Sing with and read to their children.
12. Temple centered home.
13. Respect for sacred things.
14. Encourage bearing of testimony at even at a young age.
15. Consistent Family Home Evening and family prayer.
16. Father interviews.
17. Love of God
18. Treatment of each other in the family.
19. Discipline followed by consistent consequences.
20. Going to the temple.

I listed all of the points because I know that I will want to look back on this. Who knows how long I will have the papers that I took notes on, but I know that I will have this blog forever.

I am thankful to my local leaders that they take the time to tell me things that I need to hear in regards to my family's eternal progression.

3 people said:

Laurel said...

I'm so glad you shared this! I'm going to copy it down for sure!

Mary said...

I should write them down on a blog too, so that I too won't forget those ideas.
I wished I would have joined you all at Chilis. I would have really been the "odd" one out.

Dane, Holly, Devin, and Jarom said...

hey I just did #20. Maybe Devin will turn out okay, hopefully!