Friday, October 31, 2008

Aislinn update

First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers. Chris and I both know that they are being answered.

Aislinn and I arrived home this afternoon around 1:30 p.m. She has to stay on antibiotics until her surgery and we have an appointment with the nephrologist and the urologist on Thursday, November 6. They will be discussing her upcoming surgery and monitoring her infection.

The nephrologist told us that Aislinn was a "very sick little girl" on Wednesday morning after running a battery of tests. There was one specific test that the normal reading was "1" and Aislinn had a "36"! This is what triggered the doctor to know that this infection was very severe. She told us then that she was almost positive that the infection was in the right kidney, but that she wasn't sure why.

About 5 hours later, we had a diagnosis. I believe that those 5 hours were pretty much the longest that I have EVER had!

They believe that she has 2 kidneys on the right side with a ureter draining from each. However, the smaller of the right kidney's ureter is draining somewhere to her urethra. Through time, when Aislinn holds urine and the pressure builds up in her bladder, the urine goes up this extra kidney's ureter and into the extra kidney, which is dead tissue. That starts a major infection. That is why we ended up in the hospital. It took 3 days of 2 different kinds of antibiotics to get her to respond. We are now going in the positive direction, heading toward less of an infection. They are optimistic that after surgery, she will not have any further problems and the the other right kidney will function fine.

They sent us home with 14 days of antibiotics and iron supplements (because they also found out that she is anemic).

Please continue to pray for her. Like I stated earlier, I know that those prayers are working.

Love to you ALL!

You can see updates that Debbie Carter did for us while we were in the hospital on her blog. She was kind enough to be ME for most of the time we were in the hospital. She kept Brennan, Kerstyn, Lauklan and Greyson. She fed them, helped them with homework, had them take showers and loved them for me. I know that I will NEVER be able to repay her for that.

5 people said:

Tricia said...

I'm so glad they were able to quickly determine what was needed. We'll keep praying for her that the medicine will do its job and the surgery will go well!

nanamoo said...

Seriously, it was my pleasure!

Anonymous said...

Mel,

So glad to hear that you've found the problem! Give her big hugs from Aunt Karen and tell her I love her (as I do all of you).

Janet said...

We will keep praying for a successful surgery and for a stress-free mommy. :)

Anonymous said...

it VERY VERY sad.i hope she gets better!:)