Since Thanksgiving is just 2 days away, I am reflecting on the things of which I am thankful. I am thankful for my life, the opportunity to live here on Earth, to learn, to love, to laugh, to cry, to serve, and to just be me! Now these things sound quite simple, however, they are the basic parts of my life in which I am very thankful. I have been pondering the simple things lately and how I need to remember ALL of which I have to be thankful for.
I got to visit teach Debbie Carter on Sunday and when I was pondering the things that I would like to share with her, I turned and looked at this certain excerpt in the Ensign from a talk given by Kathleen H. Hughes, First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency. It read:
My mother died when I was a young mother. I still needed her counsel and advice. After her cancer was diagnosed, she lived only six weeks. Initially, my concern was for my father. I felt grateful that Mom had not suffered long and that her death had been a sweet experience for us. But a few weeks later Mother's Day and her birthday were coming, and I began to miss her terribly. I wanted her arms around me, and I wanted to know that she was all right. I wanted to tell her that I loved her and missed her.
One night as I was praying and crying (which I did often then), I felt comfort fill my body—suddenly and powerfully. The feeling restored me; it gave me peace. It did not last long physically, yet it was immensely comforting. I knew what it was—the Lord's love encircling me and granting me peace and strength. But just as important, that moment has remained in my memory as a sweet gift to unwrap and remember when life is difficult.
One night as I was praying and crying (which I did often then), I felt comfort fill my body—suddenly and powerfully. The feeling restored me; it gave me peace. It did not last long physically, yet it was immensely comforting. I knew what it was—the Lord's love encircling me and granting me peace and strength. But just as important, that moment has remained in my memory as a sweet gift to unwrap and remember when life is difficult.
I quickly realized that this message was for me instead of for Debbie. However, I hope that Debbie got something out if it. It just points out to me AGAIN how Heavenly Father can and will comfort us. I am thankful for that.

I have had a hard time with my mother being diagnosed with cancer, and now having to undergo chemotherapy. However, I have spent much time in prayer about it and I have felt His love, I have felt that comfort, I have felt peace. It amazes me that I can receive those blessings, because He loves me. I know that, and for that, I am thankful.


0 people said:
Post a Comment