I got a call from St. Edward's yesterday afternoon around 2:30 saying that Aislinn woke up from nap with a fever of 103. So, I hurried there, got her at 2:45 and gave her Motrin. She only wanted to sleep, because of the fever and I thought that it would start coming down soon.
However, it went up to 104 and was still up around 103 or 104 by 3:45 so I talked to Chris and we decided to take her to the Emergency Room at Arnold Palmer Hospital. Meanwhile, Chris called Dr. Montane, her nephrologist, and she said to do exactly that, take her to the ER at Arnold Palmer.
We got there at 4:40 and her fever was down to 101 when we got to the first triage nurse.
After we were taken back, they did their assessment and said that her lungs sounded clear, which surprised me because she had been coughing. But, they were clear. So then they were starting to be dismissive and saying that it was viral.
However, she needed to go to the bathroom, so they took a urine sample. The sample turned out to 'dirty' so they sent it to the lab for further testing. Dirty, meaning that it looked like, from their initial dipstick test, that something was wrong with it.
When it came back from the lab, the leukocytes were at 100, meaning there is an infection. So, they called Dr. Montane so she could tell them what medicine to give her. She prescribed a shot or Rocefin and Cipro to take at home.
Needless to say, Aislinn was not happy about the shot, but she made it through.
Dr. Montane called me this afternoon and said the the urine is not growing in the culture, so she is not sure it is a urinary infection. However, we only have had 1, yes 1 grow anything and that was the day she was admitted to the hospital in October of 2008 and was EXTREMELY sick. So, Chris and I are not too sure that she is okay in that aspect.
We both feel that something is not right. Something is going wrong, but it doesn't show itself yet. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. We are to continue the Cipro and Dr. Montane said she would check the lab again today. I'm sure nothing will be there, but I am also sure that doesn't really mean anything.
So, take home message is, we're still on the roller coaster!


3 people said:
Poor Aislinn! Bless her heart she's such a trooper through all of this. I know that shots no fun but it will get better I know. <3
How frustrating for you all!
I can't even imagine how hard it is for you. I will definitely keep her in my prayers.
Post a Comment