Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Let's try it again

We had Aislinn's appointment with Dr. Rich today. We were blessed that they worked her in earlier than the mid-May appointment and Chris was able to come to the appointment too. I am so glad!


We went about a month ago and had the VCUG done, as many of you know. They did see in that test that Aislinn has Grade 1 reflux. After visiting with Dr. Rich today, the time that she had reflux before was Grade 3 and most children with Grade 1 reflux don't have anything done except changing patterns of going to the bathroom and diet. However, since Aislinn has her history and has continued to struggle with UTI's and they have been severe, Dr. Rich believes, and so do Chris and I, that they need to go back in.


This time, they will go in much lower and in the front. The incision will be a little lower than a c-section incision. This will allow him to take the good right ureter out and re-implant it to remedy (hopefully) the reflux. He will also find the remaining duplicate right ureter and remove it.


He believes, along with us, that that extra ureter is somehow contributing to the infections.


This surgery will take about 1 1/2 - 2 hours typically to complete and about 2 days recovery in the hospital. Sounds eerily familiar, huh?


I'll keep you posted on the date. In the meantime, she will stay on antibiotics to hopefully keep her from getting another infection. We'll see...

5 people said:

Anonymous said...

I hate for her to go through this, but I'm ready for her to get this over with and get well! I pray that this will correct the problem, and I think it will. I love her so much.
Mom

debbie said...

poor baby

Anonymous said...

She must really be a strong spirit to be able to endure all of this, Mel! Give her hugs from us and tell her we love her!! Love you too!

Laurel said...

Good luck! We're praying for you guys.

Higleys said...

Keep us upto date. Love & Prayers