Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Not my friend


VESICOURETERAL REFLUX


The term above is most likely the root of our trouble for our spunky Aislinn. You can click on it and hopefully be directed to a link to explain the condition. She developed this the first time after her removal of the top portion of her right kidney and the removal of most of that duplicate ureter. Apparently, the first time, the urologist was not surprised that she had this condition. He told us that the ureter that they removed, which was dilated, was putting pressure on the bladder and that when he removed it, it wasn't there to put the pressure any more so he thought that she might develop the condition.

She did and he went in about 6 months later and did some outpatient procedure where they put something like botox between the bladder wall and the ureter. This helped, but apparently it isn't working any more.
She has experienced a few Urinary Tract Infections since, with about 6 months after the procedure being the longest run without one. Well, now, it was just 2 months ago where she had one and tonight we were back in urgent care with another infection. Blood, white blood cells and protein were all present in her sample. Her fever spiked to 103.5 and would not respond to the Tylenol.

The doctor at the urgent care gave her the same prescription as her nephrologist did 2 months ago and after I got home, I spoke with her nephrologist. She said to call her if Aislinn isn't much better in 24 hours and she would change the antibiotics. However, they, her and the urologist do believe that she most likely has developed the reflux again and depending on the severity, she may have to undergo surgery AGAIN!

I can't get the test done, to see what is going on, until she doesn't have the infection. So, now, we pray and wait for her to get better.

Aislinn is a fighter.

She is a blessing to our family and an example of great faith, strength and courage.

5 people said:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mel! I'm sooooo sorry that Aislinn is having such a hard time!!I wish there was something we could do to help! Our thoughts and love are with you all. Give her hugs from us!! Love you!

Laurel said...

What a sweet little girl. I'm so sorry she is going through this. You guys are in our prayers!

nanamoo said...

Wishing her well...she is adorable.

Tricia said...

Such a cute girl. I hope she feels better soon.

Megan said...

Poor girl..praying for her and you <3